Carpal tunnel syndrome affects 4% of the population, and represents a painful condition in the wrists or hands, especially the thumb, middle finger and index finger.
It is a result of an inflammation and swelling of the carpal tendons and bones in the wrist.
The symptoms of this condition aggravate over time if left untreated. The risk factors include diabetes, arthritis, poor posture, smoking, obesity, and performing repetitive movements.
Yet, there are effective techniques to prevent this syndrome, as well as natural ways to relieve its symptoms, such as:
- Throbbing and swelling
- Muscle weakness and shaking of the hand
- Numbness, loss of feeling or tingling in the hand
- Difficulties to move the hands
- Pain in the forearm that stretches towards the shoulder
- Pain and throbbing in the fingers, hand or forearm
- Unusual sensations throughout the hand and fingers
- Weakened grip and loss of strength in hand
Here are some helpful ways to prevent this condition:
- Avoid hard gripping
Do not squeeze too tightly when writing, driving, or using the controller, in order to lower the pressure and stress on the hands and wrists.
- Stretch the Wrists and Hands
You can prevent this condition by occasionally stretching the hands, bending the fingers and moving the fingers around during the day.
- Anti-Inflammatory Diet
To reduce inflammation and relieve the pain in the tendons and joints, consume an anti-inflammatory diet, high in vegetables, healthy fats, and fruits, and low in sodium-rich foods, alcohol, trans-fats, and saturated fats.
- Practice Good Posture
After using the hands for a long time, keep the feet firmly set on the floor, with a straight spine. The elbows should rest at the sides, in order to keep the wrists straight.
These are the best home remedies to treat carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Rest the Affected Hand
Make sure you rest the affected hand to lower the pressure and stress, and stretch the hands during the rest period.
- Essential Oils
Essential oils like frankincense, wintergreen, peppermint, and cypress oil, can reduce the swelling, soothe the pain, and heal the carpal tunnel syndromes. Mix 3-4 drops of the essential oil with coconut oil, and rub on the inflamed area a few times daily.
- Wrist and Hand Exercises
Carpal tunnel exercises are beneficial in treating the symptoms. Therefore, perform the following:
- Extend and stretch the wrists and fingers while counting to five. Then, straighten the wrists while relaxing the fingers. Next, make a fist with both hands while counting to 5, and strengthen again. Make 3 repetitions daily.
- Gently roll the wrists in circles
- Lift light objects with the whole hand and a loose grip
- Stretch the spaces between the fingers
- Hold the hands in a prayer pose with the palms touching
- Ice packs
Ice packs relieve the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Apply the ice pack to the affected area and hold for 15 minutes, twice daily.
The following video reveals several other carpal tunnel exercises: